Thursday, October 04, 2018

A Personal Bell Ringing Update


You may have just read that I showed up for Sunday ringing at a London church where no ringers showed up.  I have nothing, whatsoever, against them - I'm sure they simply took a Sunday off since it was August, the time many people in the UK take holiday.  I've rung there before, and probably will again.  It could have been the first tower of the morning followed by at least two other towers - if I chose not to attend morning Mass at the Oratory.  It was an easy decision to make - going to multiple Masses in one of the most beautiful churches with exemplary Catholic music rather than ringing bells.

The previous Tuesday, I had attended a 12-bell practice night in London.  I truly appreciate those ringers, some of the most experienced and capable ringers in the world, letting me have yet another go at ringing Stedman Cinques.  I realize that they took time out from their Surprise Maximus ringing for me.  They even gave me two attempts at Stedman, since I messed up in the first.  I got through the second, even though I slipped up near the end.  It was recommended to me that I attend more practices on fewer bells on Stedman and learn other methods - and then come back to them again and show what I could ring.  I totally agree.

The type of bell ringing practices that I need in order to progress in the art are not happening here in the Charleston area.  Recommendations that a group of method ringers from all the towers have special ringing practices specifically for methods doesn't work for me either.  These would be occasional, and quite possibly include extended driving to other cities.  At this point in my life, I do not have time for that.  And, while traffic in Charleston is nothing like traffic in Houston, it is difficult enough during rush hour that I really don't drive to downtown Charleston from my apartment in Mount Pleasant unless I really need to.  No.  What I need is multiple practice night every week!

When I got married back during my Houston years, I had reached a plateau in bell ringing, one where I stayed for quite a few years.  I only occasionally joined my ringing friends at St. Thomas, usually on a Saturday when they needed help ringing for a wedding.  I was busy on Sunday mornings playing the organ at my church and being with my family.  When I first moved to the Charleston area, I was able to get back into regular practicing, and expanding my skills.  Then my Sundays went back to playing the organ, leaving only practice nights, with the accompanying rush hour traffic to get there.

The result of all this is to say that:  I am at yet another bell ringing plateau.  I can ring what I can ring, and will look for occasions to do so.  Until and unless I move to England, I will remain at this plateau.  Once in England, I know that I will have many, many towers to practice at, and oh so many people to ring with, many of whom will help me advance.


No comments: