Saturday, October 06, 2018

Early week of 13 August – Mottingham



Katarina and I met online (FaceBook) about three years, ago.  We met in person in July of 2016, only spending a few hours together, but I did get to meet her son, Joe, and her daughter Amy.  Then in June of 2017, after my week in Milan, Italy, we spent a couple of days together.

It took me a while to get from Notting Hill to Mottingham dragging all my luggage.  Since Amy usually sleeps downstairs with Katarina, she let me use her bedroom upstairs.  It has a pretty good view of East End of London about 6 miles north.  I was looking for the experience of just living as a Londoner rather than a tourist – cooking, cleaning, shopping at the market, etc.  My expectations were fulfilled, and I found that I quite like it!






Also, in getting to know Katarina better, I wanted to take her out in her wheelchair, and learn about her medications, and even help her when she has occasional seizures.  The paralysis is a new development since last summer’s visit, but the seizures are ongoing.  She lives her life to the fullest, and prays a lot.  It is unfortunate that she can’t get out to church regularly.

Tuesday afternoon, we went shopping and met friends for lunch in Catford.

(Amy likes my hats!)



Then, in the evening, we went bowling in Lewisham with a group of Katarina’s friends.  I hadn’t bowled in 20 years, and it was a fun evening!


 














Wednesday was to be special day! I had an appointment at 4:00pm with Monsignor Keith Newton of the UK Anglican Ordinariate, after which we would attend the Ordinariate High Mass for the Feast of the Assumption of Blessed Virgin Mary.  This was all in Soho, at the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption and St. Gregory, the Central London mission of the Ordinariate with the offices of the entire UK Ordinariate.  These photos were taken in the park at Golden Circle, across from the Ordinariate's offices.




It had been some time since my last Ordinariate Mass, and this would be the first for Katarina, Steven, and their friend Daniella.  There was also a reception afterwards where we got to meet some of the London Ordinariate folks.  Then we took the train and bus home to Mottingham.

(Katarina likes my hats too!)
When we got home, we started packing for our trip up to Glasgow!


No comments: