Tuesday, November 12, 2019

12 October 2019 - Evening


My first day of trying to do too much!  After the Symposium, there was free food.  I was hungry and chatted a bit too long with some people.  There wasn't quite enough time left to get to St. Maria Maggiore in time for the Vigil of  Prayer.


By the time I got there, they were singing the closing hymn, Newman's own "Lead, Kindly Light" to the tune "Halton Holgate".  I managed to join in singing, sharing a worship aid with another person standing near the entrance.

the crowd after the Vigil

the mosaic in the apse

It was unfortunate that I missed this Liturgy, but I did get to see this marvelous church.  I only took a few photos as there are much better photos available online.  The church was quite full, and the crowd (maybe a lot of Americans?) got loud enough taking that the Pastor had to come out and insist on reverence and silence!  The next event was to be the Concert by the Schola Cantorum of The London Oratory School.  I stayed for part of the first piece - long enough to hear the great acoustics - then decided to skip the rest of concert.  I've heard most of the music before, and I had a long walk back to my room.  I wanted to get a good rest before rising early Sunday morning!


Here are some photos from online:









No comments: