Monday, September 11, 2017

Thursday, 15 June 2017: London to Oxford


Early rise today! I had taken two loads of laundry Wednesday morning to be done about a half-mile away, and needed it for packing. It was during these morning hours that I decided that any future visits to London would be a minimum of seven nights - five just doesn't cut it! Once I was packed, I needed to leave my luggage at the front desk while I did two more errands: stopping at a bank and then Watts & Co., to be measured for the choir cassock I've wanted for a few years now.

Watts & Co., London
St. Barnabas Choir Cassock - except that mine will have yellow as a contrast, and I will be calling it my "Walsingham Choir Cassock".

J. Wipple & Co. is right next door.

Both Watts and Wipple are next door to each other, only a couple of blocks from Westminster Abbey.

Next step was to get to the Paddington Station to get a train to Oxford. I didn't get to Oxford till mid-afternoon, and I only had one night booked at St. Hugh's College, on the north side of the city.

Entrance and main building of St. Hugh's College, Oxford.
My room, a bit larger than London, very nice.
View from my room looking towards Banbury Road.
Chapel with organ loft.
The organ.

I really enjoyed my one night at St. Hugh's College. The all-you-can-eat breakfast is included in the B&B price. I had spent a fair amount of time in and around Oxford during my first trip abroad in 1980, but had skipped returning there in 2010 and 2016. It deserves at least four nights. Maybe next year.


No comments: