Monday, September 11, 2017

Tuesday, 13 June 2017: Evening Bell Ringing and Pub


English "change ringing" is always a part of my visits to the the UK, and this trip was no different. While North America has about 50 bell towers, Great Britain has more like 5,000! Over my four visits (1980, 2010, 2016, 2017) I have now rung in about 125 UK towers. Of the approximately 40 towers in the London area, I have rung in about 15. (Some day I should probably list them all and have precise numbers, but not today.)

This year I did grab a new tower, St. Mary-le-Bow in Cheapside. Also known as "Bow Bells", being born within hearing distance of Bow Bells is what defines a Londoner as "Cockney". Being a 12 bell tower, and this being an evening practice of the Ancient Society of College Youths, it was one of my few chances to ring an 11-bell method - tonight, Grandsire. (Most people who are capable of ringing 12-bell methods ring highly complex methods call "surprise". I have rung some surprise methods on 6 and 8 bells, but proper belfrymanship dictates that I ask to ring in something that I will NOT make a mess of!) The rest of the practice, I observed various groups of 12 people ringing these more complex methods, and visited with friends away from the ringing. This tower has two openings where a few people can gather, one with a balcony overlooking Cheapside.

Taken from the balcony overlooking Cheapside. The tenor and treble are on the left, the tenor being rung on the large box. The balcony visible opens over a neighboring rooftop garden.

Peal Borards.
Ringing room ceiling and rope guides.
Bow Bells (from the internet)
Neighboring rooftop garden (private - off limits to ringers)
You can see the balcony below the clock.
This evening was also the monthly meeting of the ASCY, which is always at The Counting House, which has become one of my fovourite pubs. This was my third visit to London that coincided with a meeting night, and the College Youths have always been very gracious to invite me to their meetings. (My ringing achievements are not nearly enough to become a member, but I appreciate friendships with many of them.) In this post, I'm including some internet photos of the interior.

The Counting House Pub, London

This was originally a bank, transformed into a grand, towering pub with ornate railings and colossal mirrors. The place is clearly geared up to serve a moneyed clientele, but is very welcoming to all.



Three photos of the grand lobby.
Meeting room on the 2nd floor (3rd floor in US terms) - every floor has a bar.

Thanks again to my College Youth friends for a wonderful evening. Heading back to my hotel in Belgravia for my fourth night of five, tomorrow will be spent with my friend, Katarina, in Mottingham and Lewisham.


No comments: